Michigan May Get Ever Closer To Recreational Legalization
An organization in Michigan?which is driving for recreational marijuana legalization has announced that it now has enough signatures and will submit their petitions to Lansing on Monday.
The organization, named ‘The Coalition to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol’ says that it now has over 360,000 signatures – well over the required amount needed.
Before going before Michigan’s Legislature, the document will have to first be approved by the Board of Canvassers. If it passes, the Legislature will have 40 days to make a decision.
- Would legalize marijuana use for adults 21 and older
- Adults can posses?up to?2.5 ounces of marijuana in public, 10 ounces at home (anything more than 2.5 ounces must be stored and locked)
- Use in public spaces will still be forbidden
- There will be a 10 percent excise tax on retail sales plus the regular 6 percent sales tax
- State revenue will go towards paying for research on the benefits of medical marijuana for veterans, school and education funding, road and bridge repairs.